Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Quest: Eat at an authentic African restaurant

A sangria-sized wineglass of hybiscus flower tea dripped languid drops of cool condensation, and offered a refreshing balance to the mild spiciness of my chicken fataya while I eagerly await my entree, the chef-recommended yassa djen.

I found Badou Senegalese Cuisine on Google Maps when looking for a new and different place to have lunch. It is small and inconspicuous, but with that "hidden-gem" anticipation about the small azure dining room.

The hybiscus tea was cool and refreshing, with a hint of sweet anis. I just barely chose it over the ginger juice, which was tangy and ginger-spicy and delicious, but the warm weather guided my senses toward the ruby crimson tea. Delightfully refreshing, and I felt very classy with my oversized wine glass.

A fataya is the Senegalese answer to an empanada. Shredded, marinated chicken is sautéed in piquant tomatoes and caramelized onion, and fried in a crispy pastry. Delicious!

When Paula, the cook and wife of the eponymous owner Badou, brought the yassa to my table, the first thing I noticed was the enormous portion. A mountain of white rice was topped with a thick layer of glistening sautéed onions, dotted black and scarlet with spices. The generous filet of tilapia was fried to a perfect crispiness and was not at all greasy. I was blown away; this was by far the best food I've had in months, and I've had some good food!

Paula had correctly ascertained that Senegal-style spiciness might very well leave me incapacitated and racked with gustatory regret, so she cut the spiciness to medium-mild. (It was still hot enough to make me sweat like a guilty man in church, but I can thank my Finnish heritage for that one.) She graciously left an entire pitcher of water for me. 

My overall experience at Badou was nothing short of amazing, and my bill came to a pocket-pleasing $17, and incredible deal for the quality and quantity!

By the way, weekends are BYOB, and I cant wait to bring my friends here to experience this culinary epiphany for themselves. Très bon!

Badou Senegalese Cuisine
2055 Howard St.
Roger's Park, Chicago

No comments:

Post a Comment